Anti-money laundering

In line with our Anti-Money Laundering procedures and ID verification, before we are able to reserve a property and issue your memorandum of sale we will need to see and take copies of 2 forms of ID along with full proof of finance used to purchase the property.  

We will need to do this for anyone involved in the property transaction, including anyone who is gifting you your deposit.  In the event that we are unable to meet in person then we can accept these documents if they are certified by an approved professional. A full list of those who can certify, along with acceptable forms of ID, proof of address and proof of finance can be found below:

1. One form of photographic identification, from the following:

  • Valid passport
  • Valid driving license
  • Valid firearms license

2. Proof of address, from the following:

  • Utility bill (dated within the last 6 months)
  • Bank/Building Society statement (dated within the last 3 months)
  • Most recent mortgage statement
  • Driving license (cannot be used if already presented as photo ID)
  • Council tax bill

In the event we cannot certify the above documents in person then we will accept certified documents from the professionals listed below. However they cannot be in a relationship with, related to or living at the same address as those whose documents they are certifying. Note: Some of the following may charge to provide certification.

  • Bank or Building Society official
  • Doctor/ Dentist
  • Chartered Accountant
  • Solicitor
  • Teacher/ Lecturer
  • Independent Financial Advisor
  • Post Office certification

3. Proof of finance

If you are using a mortgage to buy your home we will need to see a mortgage agreement in principle (AiP) along with proof of your deposit, which may be a bank or building society statement dated in the last 3 months.

If you are using proceeds from the sale of an existing property to form your deposit or purchase your new home without a mortgage, we will need to see:

  • A copy of the memorandum of sale for your existing/recently-sold property
  • A current mortgage statement, or
  • In the event there is no outstanding mortgage, we will require a mortgage redemption statement or the Title from HM Land Registry

If you are being gifted your deposit we will need to see the following from those who are gifting the deposit*

  • A letter confirming that the deposit has been gifted to you - this letter needs to state the amount being gifted, and needs to be signed by the person gifting the deposit
  • Proof of the deposit, which may be a bank or building society statement in the last 3 months
  • Identity checks in accordance with step 1 and 2

*If monies sit within a joint account, then we will require to carry out due diligence identification checks for both parties